Your Ad Here

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Are you a satisfied SmartBro Subscriber?

For the past two weeks, I have experienced intermittent connection and slowness with my broadband connection and my Internet service provider is SmartBro, a subsidiary of Smart Communications Inc. For three days, I dismissed the sudden status of my connection and did not bother to contact their customer support thinking that it may be just a routine maintenance thing. On the following days, I was getting frustrated for having to restart my connection almost every 10 or 15 minutes so finally I called their customer support and determined upon troubleshooting over the phone that my antenna is somehow not directed to their base station which come off as funny thinking that their people were the ones who installed it. I guess they made the notion when I mentioned I started having problems after two typhoons passed. With their diagnosis, they’ve sent their tech support (which is a contractor but different from the guys that installed my antenna) to correct the position of the antenna and they said that my antenna is pointing in the wrong direction which made me think what the $$%#^@$&& is going on?! But I suspect that they were just saying that and I think they configured me with a different base station, which I doubt because I am still using the same router address. But somehow they have corrected one of my two problems, my connection is now more stable hmmm… so maybe they really did something right this time.

In one of my “sessions” with their technical support representative where I tried so hard to be calm and respective (I was once a tech support a few years back and I know the feeling when you encounter irate callers and it’s not the tech supports fault in the first place), I asked them how I can monitor the speed of my so called “broadband” connection and they responded with three independent sites which comes as again really funny. I choose Smartbro instead of Digitel (that’s the only choices here in Iba, Zambales folks!) because of observations I made from Internet Café’s and the fact that I won’t be bothered for bills of a separate telephone line which Digitel requires, but man!.. How could some company like Smart cannot even produce a decent tool for measuring the speed of it’s broadband service while Globe has it’s own! Sigh… I think it’s nice to have a Globe Broadband provider around when you need one. So, regarding the speed test sites, here it is: www.testmy.net, www.2wire.com and www.speedtest.net. I am sure there is a lot of speed test sites out there, if you know one, tell me! But before, I was using the Globe speed test site, which I can no longer access and I believe more credible.

Being in the Quality Assurance work for quite some time (but not anymore, technically), I did a basic but strategic inspection scheme. I’ve measured using two of the speed test sites I mentioned at different times of the day and here are my findings. During the day when there are a lot of subscribers logged in (obviously), I get a speed that ranges from 33 kbps (as if I’m using dial-up connection!) up to 120 kbps that’s up to 7 PM. It improves usually after that… and I get to enjoy 300 kbps and up at 1 AM when everybody’s asleep! How convenient?

Well I signed up for 384 kbps… the 56 kbps of the late 90’s. Let me be clear on this one, I was not coerced by any competing telecoms provider in writing this… this is honest to goodness experience of a customer who got screwed! I just saw the Globe broadband ad the other night, they’re offering a speed of 512 kbps for what I am paying right now but it’s not yet available in my part of the world. I just hope when they decide to bring it here, all of present SmartBro subscribers consider switching. If that happens, then I might enjoy the 384 kbps as advertised all by myself and watch the other network slow down too.

But I am not mad about it really… this is the pitfall most ISP’s in the Philippines are in anyway. As I mentioned earlier, I was a tech support rep for what must have been the most successful ISP way back in 1998 when Internet connections are just up to 56 kbps, we encountered this kind of problem with speed and unluckily I was at the receiving end of angry customers who could bathe you in an instant if ever they were in front of you (personally). I have a feeling that telecom company’s big or small, will always play out the cheaper setup when it comes to provincial networks thinking we’re just farmers anyway. I don’t know if they ever build networks that are really capable in handling the total population of a community (in my case, a rural one) where they can very much estimate potential subscribers (or they may again have under estimated… again we’re just farmers).

I guess that’s how it’s going to be in the Philippines, they would advertise that their broadband speed is up to this speed but never really deliver most of the time. But in fairness, SmartBro ads quite did not promise they would deliver the speed they advertise, they use the phrase “up to ____ kbps” as a disclaimer. But it really sucks knowing you’re not getting what you paid for… where’s the justice in that?

PS… before I sleep last night, I again measured my broadband speed (as OC as I can be)… and it’s just 237.7 kbps!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just curious, how long does it take from the time you sign up for the service until your connection is fully operational. I asked because I might request for the same service when I go home to Iba from US for a vacation and do some work because I will be in the middle of an I/T project. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Mr./Ms. Anonymous

It usually takes 5 to 7 days for the installation of the antenna but in my case it only took 4 days since their contractor was doing fieldwork within the area at the time. When I say days, it includes Saturday and Sunday upon request.

I hope Globe Broadband is already available when you arrive so you won’t take a portion of the existing narrow bandwidth of SmartBro hehehehehehe joke joke joke!

Anonymous said...

Hi Pinoy Technocrata,

Thanks for the response! I'm planning to go home this December and so am hoping the network infrastructure has improved or Globe will be available. I understand your angst regarding the network performance as I've heard a lot about it in the Phil. news here in the US. A lot of my co-workers are Indians and they don't have any problem with broadband connection in India and sometimes performance there is better than here in Silicon Valley.

Anonymous said...

Mr./Ms. Anonymous

I’ve read from a newspaper ad just this morning that Globe Broadband is already available in Luzon, so that pretty much cover our little but booming town. However, the 512 kbps wireless Internet service is presently available only in Manila. But if you are planning to have a real mobile Internet access, SmartBro has one and so does Globe. Although it costs more, the advertised speed is higher compared to my present connection.

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize that Manila is running on 512 kbps only. I have a 6.0 mbps in my house in San Jose, Calif.. I can just imagine the frustration with that slow performance even if I will be in Manila. I can't plan on working remotely from the Phils. then in the near future. My long term plan is to build a vacation house in Iba on my existing beach property then work remotely. I hope network speed is much improved buy that time. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Mr./Ms. Anonymous

From the Globle website (http://www.globelines.com.ph/), they offer up to 3 Mbps but that is a wired connection and I’m not sure whether they could offer it here in Iba. For corporations, they offer much higher bandwidth I believe in the range T1 to T4 or maybe even T5. Compared to the US, there is really a big difference when it comes to Internet infrastructure. I hope this would not discourage you that much in choosing Iba as one of your vacation spots.

Things will eventually get better…

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all your responses! Actually, I was born and stayed in Iba until I graduated from ZNHS. I finished Chemical Eng'g and computer courses in Manila before migrating to the US. Iba would not only be a vacation spot for me but as well as a part-time retirement place. I'm currently an I/T professional based in Silicon Valley. Regards!

Anonymous said...

Mr./Ms. Anonymous

We both went to ZNHS! But I think you’re older hehehehe! Why don’t you post your name?

Unknown said...

WELCOME TO CLUB. IT'S BEEN ALMOST TWO YEARS THAT im using smart bro. I encounter the same problem.

techie1957 said...

I belong to batch '74 of znhs and my name is Franklin Acayan Sison. Could you please provide your name too! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I haven’t thought of writing my “About Me” section yet. Franklin Acayan Sison? There’s a high probability that we’re neighbors in the Philippines (Baño, Zone V). I’m Rex Lomeda (batch 93 graduate) and I am sure you know my mother.

techie1957 said...

Your last name is familiar and most probably I was already in Manila studying when you moved into our neighborhood. We we're the very first ones in Bano subdivision after the Lavastidas. My mom was just there last month and she managed the fencing of my beach property. So did you work in the network infrastructure field before? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

We transferred to Baño in the early 80’s. I think my mother knows your mom, tall woman and mestiza. I have a degree in Electronics and Communications Engineering from Mapua and right after graduation I got to work with one ISP and one tech support company in Manila. I did not stay that long with those companies. I got involved in Quality Assurance for an electronic component manufacturing company in Laguna for 6 years.

Nice property!

Here is my e-mail: rex.lomeda@gmail.com