Your Ad Here

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

September 2007

September is a very important month for me because my girlfriend’s birthday falls on the twelfth day of the month. Early this month, I have searched and picked the flowers and the cake she loves online, a practice I have mastered for the last two years (online purchase, that is).

Here are some interesting dates for September and feel free to add:

1. September to the civilized world is renowned due to the infamous attack of terrorist organization Al-Qaeda on American soil. September 11, 2001 marks the date when the twin towers (World Trade Center) of New York fell.

2. Yesterday, September 11, the peso closed at 47 pesos to 1 dollar.




3. Japan, September 12, 2007 is the date when Shinzo Abe, the youngest post World War II Prime Minister, resigned.







4. Philippines, September 12, 2007 is an interesting day for the country as it would be remembered by Filipinos as the day when a former President, Joseph Estrada, of the country is convicted by the courts (Sandiganbayan) for the crime of plunder.

5. Today, September 12, the peso closed a little better than yesterday.










For two instances in my life, I have shared important dates with the unlucky 13th President Erap. The first is January 20, 2001, which is the day my younger brother exchanged vows with his better half. At the same time in Manila, Filipinos were amassing at Edsa of what is to be known as Edsa II (for me there’s only one People Power and that’s Edsa 1) to depose President Joseph Estrada. The wedding started with Erap still as the President and ended with a new President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo.

After six years of trial, Erap was sentenced to 40 years in prison and is compelled to pay 542.7 million pesos plus 189 million pesos (Jose Velarde Account) and his so called “Boracay Mansion.” He is however entitled for an appeal that his attorneys must submit within 15 days. Does this mean we have to wait for another six years before they execute the sentence?

With the conviction, the message is clear as to what the Sandiganbayan wants to convey to all government officials. Even if it took six years, Justice will be served… eventually.

Makes me wonder, after 2010, after Gloria Macapagal Arroyo’s term, will justice be served?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

September is an important month for me too.

It's my birth month..as well as my daughter and my husband.

=)

Maann

Anonymous said...

Another thing...Ferdinand Marcos' bday is also Sept. 11, 1917

Anyway, I hope no pardon will be issued to Erap...the gov't should be firm with their verdict.

Maann

Anonymous said...

One big celebration pala kayo Maann!


According to Erap's camp, they will not accept any pardon or even lobby for one. What I read before is that Erap would have been freed if FPJ won so I guess all these years with the delaying tactics and all, they are merely waiting for developments on the political side that would favor them. Just like if GMA was ousted by the “Hello Garci” scandal.

Anonymous said...

Ha! I knew it, I told you...Erap was already pardoned di ba?

I'm pissed off talaga...he didn't even show any remorse for what he did. Gloria is a shame too.

MaAnn

Anonymous said...

They should sequester his assets to pay what he owes the government di ba... but it seems he’s not going to give in without a fight. Kapal ng mukha!