Your Ad Here

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Victory Liner: Health Risk!

It’s been a month since I started spending weekends in Manila.  Bus fare going from Iba, Zambales to Manila is now at 330 pesos, a very high price compared to bus fares three months before. Did the Department of Transportation and Communication (DOTC) approve the increase?  But taking public transports is still the choice over using ones car especially with the current fuel prices.  Victory Liner is the only bus company plying the Zambales route.  It’s been that way since I was a kid even in the days when my parents went to college in Manila.  It’s a virtual monopoly practiced by owners of transport companies that have intermarried to form a cartel like organization that selects areas to operate avoiding competition.

 

I used to brag to my friends that compared to other bus companies whose service I’ve tried, Victory Liner is way better.  But lately, due to rising fuel prices, the quality of service have gone from better to worst.  First time I rode the bus last month; I noticed that they tend to turn off the air conditioning at a stop over in Pampanga.  According to the driver, it’s a new company policy and if we have issues we should complain to their supervisor.  It’s a good idea since turning off the air conditioning and at the same time the engine saves a lot of fuel and reduces carbon monoxide emissions… hence, save the planet!  When they restart the air conditioning system of the bus though, the rest of the journey to Manila is considerably hot.  The other times I rode the bus, luckily it was raining and it somehow helped in keeping the temperature cool inside the bus.  On a recent trip on my home from Manila, I immediately talked to the conductor as the bus left the terminal.  I asked him if the air conditioning system could get any more cooler because I suspect that they are only allowed to set the air conditioning system at a specified level.  He said that “it’s company policy” and they can’t do anything about it and of course you do not argue with the people that’s supposed to move you from one place to another.  Take your complaint to the bus company!  A co-passenger who overheard my little chat with the conductor agreed with my observation and relayed his dismay at the so called “company policy.”  He said, usually buses starts their air conditioning system way before the departure time at the terminal to cool the insides of the bus.  Unfortunately now, they just open the air conditioning when the bus is about to leave.  Imagine the combined temperature of human bodies that would occupy the bus, he added.  If the normal body temperature is at 36.8 °C ± 0.7 °C, multiply that with the number of passengers plus the inside temperature of the bus… that’s a lot of heat!  My co-passenger talked with the supervisor at the stop over in Pampanga and was given the number of Victory Liner’s “customer care” and according to the supervisor; Victory Liner already received a lot of complaints. 

 

Obviously it’s not only us passengers who gets to suffer from a “hot” air-conditioned bus, even the drivers and conductors.  All I do is sit, they get to drive and walk up and down the aisle to attend to passengers.  I don’t get to spend much energy compared to them hence I produce less heat.  Although I believe I have recurring colds every weekend, I pity Victory Liners front line soldiers.  They get to do their jobs, but the owner doesn’t care about their health.  Sooner or later, all of them would get sick paralyzing operations and the company’s income. 


I hope the company policy gets changed before Saturday, as I’d be going to Manila again. 

 

At 330 pesos a ride, I hope I’d get the soothing cool service I paid for.

 

 

1 comment:

ebbot said...

really???!!!
haven't commuted for over a year... good thing i got those free rides the last time i went back home!